Monday, September 23, 2013

Syria, War in the News and Honoring Veterans

War is in the news. 
 
The possibility of going to war with Syria is very unsettling, for this is an intrusion into a place where we do not belong. The thought that our leaders may blunder us into this is revolting. Nonetheless, many fine men and women will go if called. I personally honor them.

War has been a very real part of my life. I was born as my father headed to Europe for World War II. He came to the hospital to see me when I was hours old and didn't return until I was two. When he arrived home at last, my mom told me daddy had returned. She tells me I cried, "NO!" , ran to his picture, held it up and said, as I  pointed to the picture, "This is daddy!"

I sent my husband into the Vietnam War conflict when I was 7 months pregnant with our third child. He returned home when our son was 10 months old. Our two and four year olds, who had been very attached to their daddy, struggled in his absence.

The son born while his dad was gone survived the World Trade Center bombing on 9/11. Had that incident happened the week before, he would surely have been a casualty.

While war is always ugly and painful, it is sometimes necessary. I have the deepest respect for those who serve our country.

My husband and I spent 18 months in Italy, working with American troops at a large Air Force Base and a small Army garrison there. We saw the sacrifices of the troops, the community, and the families of soldiers who deployed downrange--into the war zone. I will always remember one 8 year old boy named Alex, whose father had been gone downrange for most of his birthdays. His only wish was to have his dad home on leave when he turned 8. His dad had promised to do all in his power to be home, and his commander had promised the same. Ten days before Alex's 8th birthday he learned that his dad's leave had been cancelled and he wouldn't be home for the birthday party. The hurt in Alex's eyes haunts me still. That 8 year old made huge sacrifices for his country.

While in Italy we attended the frequent memorial services for the members of the 173rd Airborne who had paid the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Each was a touching, painful time to reflect on the lives lost and the youth wasted by war.

Regardless of our feelings about these armed conflicts our country is unlawfully engaged in, we appropriately can honor the men and women who serve at their country's beck and call. They deserve our greatest respect.   Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment